Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October 24th through October 29th:


October 24th through October 29th:  My wife thinks I am getting old.  Last week I said she was at Washington Elementary School and that that is where most of our kids went to school.  She was at Washington School, but our kids went to Wasatch Elementary School.  Hey, they both start with a W.  It is an honest mistake.  My days have been filled with working on the kitchen.  I usually get up between 5 and 6am. and start doing things that don’t make a lot of noise, like hand sanding the sheetrock and putting more mud on the joints or painting or like today, blogging.  The kitchen has been primed and has 2 coats of paint on all the walls along with the wall in the front room.
 
This is an accent wall at the end of the new kitchen.  Cabinets will die into this wall on both sides.

The hall still needs the final coats, but I have a problem with a bump in the wall where I extended the wall into the front room.  I will have to add more mud to make it disappear.  I have reinstalled the crown in the front room and hall and added new base board molding in the front room.
  
New extended wall into the front room.

I have installed the new French doors to the pantry and starting building the shelving and roll outs in the pantry.
 
New French doors and pantry.  I still have to build the roll outs.

The ceiling in the kitchen still needs to be painted because I have had to perfatape two cracks and will have to retexture those joints before the final coat.  I stop working and take Chris to work about 7:30am and when I get back I can do things that make noise, such as use the nail gun and compressor or the chop saw.  I stop again and go and get her from whichever school she is at about 3:00 pm.  This week she taught Kindergarten twice and 2nd grade twice.  One of these was in the Spanish immersion program and she was supposed to speak only Spanish.  She said it was a good thing that most of the kids spoke English, because she had to keep asking them different words.  At the end of the day, one of the little boys said, “My other teacher speaks real Spanish.”  She says she likes doing this, but she often receives a good dose of humility. We usually come home and I shower and change and then we go and have an early dinner together and she then drops me off at Home Depot.  I get home between 9:45 and 10:45 pm and then fall into bed.  Sometimes I am exhausted and ache and need a dose of Ibuprofen, but in the morning I am ready to go again.  Chris spends her evenings doing laundry or this last week she cut pumpkins with Charlotte’s family and last night she took Evan to the Scout Celebration at the Conference Center.
Working on the pumpkins.

 
The finished pumpkins on the front porch.

They rode Frontrunner into town and then Traxs to Temple Square.  On the train they started talking to a guy and when he found out they did not have tickets and were going to stand in the stand-by line, he gave them two tickets.  She must be living right or something.  They had a nice time and made it back just in time to pick me up from work.
  
Mom and Evan at the Conference Center.

Sunday was the Primary program in John and Jill’s ward, so we went and saw their 4 children.  They are getting so big.
  
We were early for the primary program. John has 4 kids and he calls them his blonde haired beauties.

In the afternoon, we and our children were invited to dinner at my brother Van’s son, David’s, home.  He cooked 16 lbs of pork in a hot water bath for 36 hours and it was so tender and delicious I had 3 helpings.  It was fun to see his kids and get caught up on everything.  Van works at the Salt Lake Temple and we went to the 6 am session on Thursday with our son John.  It brought back lots of good memories.  They have done some beautiful remodeling of the locker rooms.
David on the left and three of his daughters and a son in law on the right.

  
L to R my son John, Alex, Charlotte, Jill and my brother Van hiding.





1 comment:

Sam said...

Wow you are a busy guy! Are you an aile helper at home depot?