Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 5th through February 11th

February 5th through February 11th:  Wednesday it became official, our mission starting date has been changed.  We enter the Salt Lake Temple for training on May 12th instead of the original June 16th.  We received an email with the new change of assignment.  We are excited to start and leaving in May is great news.  It will get us home in the middle of November, instead of just before Christmas.  Chris and I went to the temple Wednesday morning and then had lunch together and then I had to go to work. Thursday, I rented the tile saw again and got the bottom row of tiles set in the shower and all of the tiles cut for the floor outside of the shower. Mom substituted second grade at Uintah Elementary.  I picked her up after school and then worked for another hour on the floor.  I then got cleaned up a bit and we met Wally and Martha Cooper for dinner at Crown Burger.  After dinner and a good chat we all went to a lecture at the Leonardo Museum on Melchizedek and the Dead Sea Scrolls.  I even stayed awake for most of it.  After the lecture I went back to John’s house and mixed up thin set and set all the tiles for the floor.  I got to bed about 10:30pm.  If I had not of gotten the floor down, I would have lost a day. 
The shower floor is just sitting there it is not installed.
The ceiling on a diagonal.
Friday:
  I had problems with the tile saw and took it back.  They changed out the blade and then it worked fine.  I cut the tiles for the base board and got them set.  I also got all the tiles cut and set for the shower floor.  The little pieces around the drain took forever to cut.
The baseboards and shower floor.
The baseboards and shower floor.
Chris substituted second grade at Jackson Elementary again.  In the evening, Chris went and tended at James’ house.  Kirstin, James’ wife, had a surprise birthday party for him at a bowling alley.  I went and tended John and Jill’s kids so they could go to the party.  Saturday, Chris and I went and had breakfast at Betos.  I love their breakfast burritos and I get to practice my Spanish.  She then dropped me off for work.  After work we went shopping and I found a new pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack.  We then went home and we worked on our Sunday school lesson.  Sunday, I had to work from noon to 7:30pm.  So after the sacrament I had to leave and get changed and go to work.  Monday, Chris substituted at Meadowlark Elementary for the resource teacher.  After dropping her off, I went to work.  She called me as I was getting off at 1:00pm and said she was done.  The teacher had 2 prep periods at the end of the day so she was done early.  We went and had lunch at La Fonterra, my favorite Mexican restaurant.  It was the first time that we have eaten there since being home.  It was just like I remembered it, delicious.  I am looking forward to good Mexican food.  We then went shopping; you would think we were going on a trip or something with all the shopping we are doing.  We then went and saw Monuments Men.  It got bad reviews, but we liked it.  After family home evening, I played the game where all the kids try and climb the stairs and I pull them down.  When our children were little we played this game and the game always ended with one of the kids crying.  But I was not as rough with Charlotte’s kids and they loved it and no one got hurt.  Charlotte posted a picture of us and all my other kids commented about their memories of this game. 

"Try and climb the stairs" Game

Tuesday, I went to work at 5:00am, but only had to work till 9:00am.  Chris picked me up and then I worked on the tile.  I redid the shower floor.  I needed to get the drain to twist lower to be just below the tiles, but I could not get it to twist so I did the next best thing, I added another layer of tile.  It now is the perfect height.  I also got the bathroom floor and baseboards grouted.  Chris had a half day of substituting.  We went home teaching in the evening.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

HA HA John I remember you doing a horizontal diving save to prevent my daughter Kate from falling down the stairs in your home in the Aves. She owes you her life :)

Kate said...

That bathroom is going to be beautiful! Nice job, Dad. I am so excited about your next mission. I feel so blessed to have such awesome parents.

Erin Boyle said...

I absolutely love reading your blog. I'm a faithful follower :) love you both so much!

Genevieve said...

Nice work Dad!