Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2019

June 17th through June 23rd

June 17th through June 23rdMonday Chris went to work and I laid out the remainder of the can lights and started cutting the holes and fishing the wire for 42 new lights in the entry/hall, kitchen, new bathroom, laundry, and dining room.  With the 34 new lights already installed in the upstairs, the 27 installed in the TV and music/craft room, and the 45 installed in the basement it will be a total of 148 new can lights.   I am getting pretty good at installing can lights.  

The can lights are cut and the wires pulled ready to install the lights.
Hall from the front door to the kitchen.  I had to lower the ceiling to match the entry where I had taken out the pocket door.
I had to cut holes in order to fish the wires from one light to the next.

Tuesday Chris cleaned up for me and then went to work and I continued to install can lights.  

The lights installed and the holes patched.
The lights installed in the dinning room.
Just waiting for the plumbers to come and move the copper pipes up into the joists.

Wednesday we went to our temple shift and had a nice morning in the temple.  The plumber was supposed to come and move the copper pipes that were run on the bottom of the joists for the second floor and move the plumbing for the bath and laundry room, so we stayed home from our paint class  Then he called and said he had gotten tied up on another job and would come first thing Thursday morning.  So I spent the afternoon working on more wiring.  We got invited to Tim and Nancy Fisher’s home for dinner.  They were hosting a dinner for two new mission presidents called from Guatemala, President Dubon and President Cristales.  President Dubon was introduced to the gospel by Tim Fisher when he served in Guatemala as a young man.  President Cristales was one of my shift coordinators in the temple.  He was a stake president when we arrived in Guatemala and when he was released, he and his wife came and were temple workers.  President Dubon worked in the CCM, so we know them both.  We picked up President Cristales and his wife and drove them to Alpine for the BBQ.  The Hursts, Winkfields and Ellingtons were also invited, so it was a mini-reunion of our temple missionaries, at least the ones that live here in Utah.  After dinner, Tim showed me his restored Army Hummer and gave me the keys and said,  "Let’s give the Cristales a ride".  Well, that was a blast.  We had a wonderful evening with so many good friends.  
BBQ at the Fisher's home in Alpine.
L to R President and Sister Dubon, Eldon and Dawn Hrust, Diane George, Mike and Merlene Ellington, Ken and Eve Winkfield, Tim and Nancy Fisher, Me and Chris, President and Sister Cristales.
This really was a lot of fun.
L to R Tim Fisher, President Dubon, President Cristales, Me

Thursday the plumbers came and did their thing.  After they left, I finished the installation of the lights that I could not do because of the copper pipes were in the way and got ready to install the sheetrock on the ceiling.  Bryce and Alex, my two son-in-laws that live here in Bountiful, were going to come over help me install the sheetrock.  As I was finishing up, I realized that I still had to wire 5 new plugs for the kitchen and would have to run the wiring through the ceiling, so I had to delay their coming till Saturday.  
The plumbers replacing the copper pipes with pex piping.
The new bath plumbed.
The laundry room replumbed.  New floor drain added.
This was a fun box to wire.
There wasn’t time for me to do it because President Cristales had invited Chris and me to their setting apart in the Administration Building with Elders Soares and Godoy.  That was such a sweet experience and it was so nice of them to invite us to accompany them. It was wonderful to hear their powerful testimonies and their excitement to serve. Elder Soares was so gracious and he asked who we were and how we knew the Cristales and then thanked us for our service.  
Chris and I at Temple Square, waiting to go to the setting apart of President and Sister Cristales.
Friday I got the rest of the wiring installed and some backing installed for the sheetrock that I had forgotten about.  I went over to Charlotte’s house and put in the transition strips for her new floor.  I also helped her install the wood hooks on the wainscoting I had previously installed.   Chris and I cleaned up and got ready for Bryce and Alex to come Saturday morning for the sheetrock.  
New wood hooks installed for Charlotte.
The new floor turned out great.
In the afternoon, Chris and I went to the wedding of a good friend and missionary companion of ours from Ecuador, Doug Thayne.  We went to lunch a few weeks back and met his new bride Debra Groberg.  It was a beautiful sealing and Lee and Connie Crayk were also there.  When Doug was asked by the sealer who would be present, he said, “Well, there will be one patriarch and two ex-temple presidents present”.  The sealer then said, “Wow, no pressure there.” We then went to their reception and dinner at the Grand America which was an amazing.  Doug and Debra looked like teenagers in love.  They really looked happy to have found each other and their children payed them lovely tributes. 
Debra and Doug Thayne
Saturday I got up early, 4:00am, and got things ready for Bryce and Alex to come at 6:00am to help me get the sheetrock on the ceiling.  Thanks to their help and hard work, the sheet rock got installed.  Thanks Bryce and Alex.  
Bryce and Alex hard at work screwing off the sheetrock.
In the afternoon Chris and I went to the dance performance of two granddaughters, Abbie and Tilda.  They are so cute and adorable.  We love them and enjoyed seeing them dance.  
Abbie at her dance performance.
Daddy daughter dance.  Way to go Bryce and Abbie.
Tilda at her dance performance.
End of the day Saturday
Sunday we went to church and then we went to dinner at Charlotte’s house.  I did not get everything done that I wanted to get done this week, but it is what it is and I think I underestimated the amount of wiring that needed to be done.  We enjoy living in our new apartment and feel that we have more blessings than we deserve. 

1 comment:

Norm said...

Thanks for all your hard work dad!