Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 2, 2015

October 26th through November 1st:

October 26th through November 1st: Monday we started packing and then went to lunch with Lee and Connie Crayk, and Lynn and Diane Crayk.  These are some of my favorite people.   We had so much fun reminiscing about our time together in Cochabamba.  They all promised to come and serve in Guatemala in a year or so.  I am going to expect that they keep this promise. Tuesday mom went to lunch with Kate, Charlotte and Courtney Brown.  Courtney is my niece, daughter of my sister Alice.  She was out of town when we had the reunion in August.  They had fun.  I went to Moose’s school and did a power-point presentation on China.  It was fun to talk about our experience there and it brought back lots of memories.  Wednesday mom went on a walk with Merritt Stites and then got her hair cut.  I stayed home and did family history.  Thursday we attended the Halloween parade at the elementary school where Charlotte’s kids attend.  
Tilly, the chicken, with Nana
Tilly and Charlotte
Luke 
Evan
Miles
Kate's kids with their grandparents the Hansens. L to R Abby, Stanford and Kimball.
John the pirate with his four kids, L to R, Jake, Ellie, Badger and Moose.
Sam and Ginny with their two daughters, Willa and Xela.
James' kids, Rigby the bat, Emme as pinkie pie , and their cousin Colton the spider-man.
I then tended Tilly while mom went to the temple.  Mom spent the afternoon at James’ home tending Rigby and Emme.  In between everything, we were trying to finish packing.  Friday I went to a session in the Salt Lake temple on the session that my older brother, Van, had a part.  It was nice to be back in the place where we have so many memories and where our temple experience really started.  Mom went and visited Kirstin and Campbell who are both still in the hospital.  
Campbell
Mom and Campbell
We are hoping the can go home tomorrow.  After the session Chris and Maude met us in the temple and the 4 of us did family sealings and then went to lunch.  Van and Maude have been so generous and kind to us.  We love them and it is so nice to have such a great big brother.  I called the only cousin I have on my father’s side.  Earl is the son of my uncle Earl.  He never married and lives in Melrose, MA.   He is about my age.  I explained to him that I had been going through all of our things trying to get everything in storage and that I had come across two pictures of his father from before he got married to Earl’s mother and I asked if he would like them.  He said he would and I got them in the mail to him.  I drove the Xterra down to James’ so he can sell it.  Kate met me there and drove me to Charlotte’s home.  We had pizza for dinner and took some last minute photos of their kids with us.  
Friday night pizza 
Charlotte's kids, L to R Evan, Miles, Tilly and Luke
Kate's kids L to R Stanford, Kimball and Abby
We finished packing about 8:00pm.  Saturday Charlotte got up early and took us to the airport.  We had uneventful flights and arrived in Guatemala City at 7:30pm.  
On our way at the Salt Lake Airport
President Burk, his wife and Oscar Abadillo, the temple recorder, met us and drove us to our home.  President Burk is living in one of the missionary apartments so that they could spruce up the temple president’s home.  It is lovely and HUGE.  They told us it was a 5 bedroom home, but it has 6 bedrooms and 5½ baths.  Lots of room for visitors—hint, hint.  I’ll include pictures next week.  Sunday, I am still fighting a stubborn cough and cold and I was up at 3:00am.  I revised my talk for the devotional today.   I went for a walk about 8:00am.  We then went to fast and testimony meeting at the church next to the temple.  After the meeting we went to the temple and we spent the next three hours touring the temple and getting an orientation from the Burks.  They have done a great job and the temple is beautiful.  We had a quick bite to eat at the Burk’s and then it was off to the annual Devotional for all the temple workers and employees at the temple.  The Burks spoke first and thanked everyone for the love and friendship they had received and said good-bye.  I can’t imagine how that is going to feel.  Mom then spoke and did a great job.  She has a way of bringing the Spirit.  She didn’t have a lot of time to prepare, but did a fantastic job.  I felt good about my talk.   I got pretty emotional as I talked about how the temple can change lives and that we can all use the temple to receive personal revelation.  Then the Area President, President Dunkin, spoke.  After the meeting he said my message was very powerful and he wants me to speak to all the stake presidents because that it is exactly what they need to hear.  I was blown away by his enthusiasm.   After the meeting there was a reception line for anyone who wanted to say good-bye to the Burks and then meet us.  It took more time to do the reception line than the devotional.  
The reception line after the devotional
Mother and daughter, both ordinance workers.
My two counselors and their wives.  On the left, the Rosales and on the right the Rosados.
President Burk and his wife.
L to R the Rosados, the Burks, the Normans, and the Rosales
We then hurried to the Break the Fast at the area offices.  All the senior missionaries have a get-together once a month.  There are about 20 couples here.  It was fun to meet them.  Mom was concerned about my cough and cold.  She talked to one of the medical advisors who just happens to live right next door to us in one of our temple apartments.  He came over after the last meeting of the day and suggested I get a chest X-ray to see if I have pneumonia.   He wants me to take an antibiotic, but doesn’t know which one until he rules out pneumonia.  I’ll have to do that tomorrow on our P-day.  What a day!  It certainly went fast.  Next Saturday and Sunday we will speak in our fist stake conference.  Hang on, it is going to be a wild ride.  

No comments: