Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

April 30th through May 6th:



April 30th through May 6th:  Wednesday, Mom had taken Front Runner down to James’ house Tuesday night so she could be there early the next morning and stay with Emme while James and Kirstin took Rigby to have tubes put in his ears.  Everything went well and I picked Mom up at the train stop in Woods Cross about 1:15pm.  I had spent the morning doing errands.  It was Chris’ birthday and I had cards made up with all our information on them (Oaxaca address, emails) for her to give to people we want to stay in touch with.  This was one of the things she had said she wanted.  We went to dinner with Lee and Connie and Lynn and Diane Crayk.  It was nice to see them one last time before we leave.  They had just gotten back from a trip to Thailand and Bali.  Lee knows President Atkinson and assures us we will like him and his wife and that they are good people and that we will have a good time with them.  We are excited to serve with them.

L to R Lee, Connie, Diane, Lynn Crayk and mom and I.
Thursday, I built the cabinet that Katie had asked me to build.  It is just a box that they can put their TV on and have space under the TV for a DVD player and stuff. 

The box for the Kate's TV.
I also got a couple of more things done on John’s punch list.  Friday, I was back at Rigby’s house to try and finish up a few things.  I worked all day and we then went to dinner with old friends, Bill and Sue Thurman, from our ward on the avenues.   It was really nice to catch up with them.  I was their home teacher for a number of years and we have great memories of the neighborhood. 

L to R Bill and Sue Thurman and mom and I.
Saturday, I got up early and went to the temple.  I have not made it to the temple every week since quitting Home Depot and working everyday at Rigby’s.  I need to repent and I think I will make it to the temple every week for at least the next 18 months.  I got some of my tools organized in John’s garage.  I drove Jill and Ellie to Ellie’s soccer game and I took Moose to his game. 

Papa and Moose at his soccer game.
We then got cleaned up and went to dinner with Doug Thayne and his wife Sherrie.  We had a great dinner at Little America and even better conversation.  Doug is an old missionary companion of ours from our mission to Ecuador, oh so many years ago. He was a great missionary 43 years ago and he is still a valued friend. 

L to R  Me, Chris, Doug and Sherrie Thayne.
We bought a chuck roast on the way home.  Sunday, was our last day to teach our Sunday school class.  We had a short testimony meeting at the end of class and it was good to bear our testimonies one last time.  I got a little emotional, but what’s new?  We had been fasting for Richard, one of Chris’ nephews who had a tragic accident in his chemistry lab.  A beaker was mislabeled and he was washing it and it exploded and he might lose sight in both his eyes.  He has a young family and we pray for him.  We had our last roast with mash potatoes and gravy dinner.  It was delicious.   Monday, I went back to Rigby’s for 5 hours and finished the last of the things they needed me to do.  They are going to hire a painter to paint the walls I did not get done.  I then met mom, Kirstin and her two kids, and Charlotte and three of her kids at the food court at City Creek.  Mom had taken Front Runner down to Lehi and met Kirstin and then rode the train back to Salt Lake with Rigby.  He wanted to go on a train ride and he was so excited. 

Rigby and Mom getting ready to ride Front Runner.
Rigby on the train.
We had lunch and watched the kidos play in the playland they have there.

Food Court fun.
Luke, play-land fun.
Emme, play-land fun.
Miles, play-land fun.

Rigby, play-land fun.
Mom and I stayed in Salt Lake and shopped.  I got a new pair of white shoes.  Little by little I have got my clothes pretty much packed.  Mom on the other hand needs to get serious about packing.  Tuesday, I went back to Rigby’s and cleaned up my tools and caulked the back patio door on the outside.  I then got all my tools stored in John’s garage.  Mom gave me a haircut and we got ready and went to the Salt Lake temple.  We met my two brothers and their wives to do sealings.  Maude, Van’s wife, has been working on Norman cousins and extended Swedish lines.  We were delighted when the sealer was a cousin to Tove, Tad’s wife.  He could pronounce all the names correctly and it was a very lovely time.  We did a stack of names about 2 inches thick.  We then went to dinner together.  Van chose a restaurant that they like, Eva.  It is kind of a Tapa bar, where you order a lot of small plates of really delicious things.  I think we had about 20 different dishes.  It was a wonderful evening and so fun to be with my brothers and their wives one last time before we leave.  We check into the Radisson in 3 days now.  Can’t wait to get going!

L to R  Mom, my brother Van, his wife Maude, Tove and her husband Tad my oldest brother.

1 comment:

Kate said...

The box looks great. I can't wait to get it in place. Thank you so much! I appreciate you making the effort to get it done for us.