Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Oct 6th and Conference Weekend



October 6th:  I spent the morning cooking chicken wings and chicken nuggets.  I had made the sauces yesterday afternoon and had cut up the chicken and put the chicken in a marinade/ sauce that would help the chicken stay breaded.  During the week, I had made a new BBQ sauce with a kick when I had cooked a pork roast and we had the Crayks for lunch for pulled pork sandwiches.  They were really tasty and so I decided I would use the same sauce for the nuggets.  After getting all the chicken cooked, 3 packages of breast meat and 4 packages of wings, I made two trays of wings with a kind of Winger’s sauce and then I made some honey mustard to go with the BBQ sauce.  So people can have nuggets with either, BBQ or honey mustard sauce and or wings.  Then I showered and got ready to go to Pres. Crayk’s for conference.  I have been looking forward to conference for some weeks now and conference did not disappoint.  I did think about how we would always have all of our children come down to Mt. Pleasant and everyone would be together for conference.  Those are such fond memories.  But I have to say it was hard to listen to conference with so much going on, preparing meals and taking care of small children.  Today I was spiritually uplifted like never before.  James said it was just because we are on a mission.  But more than once I found myself wiping tears from my eyes.  After the first session we had a big pot luck dinner in the cafeteria in the patron housing building.  The Latin missionaries joined us.  They had been watching conference in the auditorium and had had problems with the internet.  So while we were having lunch the engineers ran a cable from Pres. Crayk’s house to the auditorium and got it set up so they would not have problems for the rest of conference.  Dinner was delicious and we all ate too much. 

The Food Line.
Table 1.
Table 2.

 Good Times were had by all.

It was then back to Crayk’s for the afternoon session.  Again I experienced the sweet tender mercies of the Lord.  I made notes of impressions and feelings.  One of my feelings was we are doing what we should be doing and that God was mindful of us.  We then had a break for an hour and then all the brethren met and went to Priesthood meeting together.  They had a room set up for English and so we didn’t have to concentrate as hard to understand as we do when we are listening to Spanish.   
October 7th:  Sunday morning we went for a walk and talked about conference and our feelings.  One of the things we both feel like we need to improve is in using our "down" time doing things that are worthwhile.  So this morning we made lists of things we both want to do when we have free time.  One of my things to do is write everyday in my journal.  I have been blogging at least once every week or two.  But I wanted to have some of the things that happen of a more Spiritual nature recorded for my children and grandchildren to maybe read someday.  Conference today was very powerful.  Elder Holland’s talk made me cry and it made me really want to serve and help build the kingdom.  I want to show my Savior that I really do love him and I want to stand before him someday and have Him embrace me and permit me into the Father’s presence.  It’s hard at times to be away from family and especially when we feel like the kids need us.  (James and Kirstin with Kirstin in the hospital and Gin ready to give birth)  But we believe that our children will be blessed because of our service and that we are changing the lives of our posterity for generations.  This was mentioned in conference.  We kidded the mission president, Pres. Dyer, that the young men and young women in the choir in one of the sessions were the next group of missionaries he would be getting.  Wow, 18 year old men and 19 year old women.  Big changes, but I can see the wisdom and need to move the work forward.  It will be interesting to see how many more missionaries will go with this big change. 

Sunday Session at Pres. Crayk's house.

I got more out of this conference than I have ever received before.  I listened to every talk in every session and felt uplifted and inspired and I have the desire to be a better person.  We had another dinner between sessions.  I had saved ½ the chicken nuggets for today.  They were gone really quickly.  I think they were a big hit.  Everyone loved the BBQ sauce and put it on any number of things that were served.

October 8th:  We got up and went for our walk and mom and I discussed glasses that were either half empty or half full.  I want to live my life with Pres. Monson’s closing admonition, “be of good cheer”.   Life is always better and happier if you can count your many blessings and find the positive in every situation.  I want my glass to always be half full.  I then went and played racquetball with Kevin who works in the office at the temple.  I fell and got a nice floor burn on my knee. I remember now that when I was younger, I used to use knee pads when I played. This is the third time I have gone.  I am getting better and it is a good work out. 

Maybe not ready for prime time.
Kevin and I. Yes, I am old enough to be his father.

After racquetball, we picked up his wife and young son and come back to the apartment so I could teach them some Mexican recipes.  Their 2 older boys love Mexican food.  So for the next 2 hours I taught them how to make re-fried beans from scratch and enchilada sauce and beef and bean burritos.  I sent them home with a tray of burritos for their lunch today.  They invited us to lunch on Saturday to eat a traditional pork dish.  While I taught cooking, mom played with their son on the computer.  She was enjoying being grandma to a 3 year old.  I spent some time trying to finish a timeline of events in my life.  I plan to then pick things from the timeline and write a brief memory.  Mom had to make apple pies today for FHE. The couple who is in charge tonight decided to celebrate Canada’s Thanksgiving Day.  So we had another feast, 3 days in a row.  The food was great and I ate like it was thanksgiving.  We then went around the room and told what is the best thing about being on a mission here. There was a great Spirit and it was very uplifting.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

Great post! I love hearing your thoughts. I also love the pic of racquet ball...that is a classic :)

Charlotte said...

Ditto everything Gin said!

Christy Dyer said...

Fun times. Loved the pictures of Torotoro. I would have stayed outside with Sister Cabrera. I hate tight places! I want to learn how to make mexican food!