Quito, Ecuador Temple

Quito, Ecuador Temple
Here is where we will be working until Feb. 2023

Welcome

Dear Readers,

We hope as you read this blog of our mission to the Quito, Ecuador temple you will feel the joy and happiness we are experiencing by being in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you can experience some of what we feel. Christine and I met in Quito, Ecuador 51 years ago while serving as missionaries. We are going home.


John and Christine

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 7, 2012

Week 17 through 19:

Week 17 through 19:
I had the opportunity to cook a couple of new Chinese dishes, Yu Xiong Rou Xi (fish flavored meat strips), Honey Chicken and Orange Chicken, during the last few weeks, we always invite some of the other couples to dinner when I cook.  They seem to enjoy my cooking.  Mom however does not enjoy being my sue chief and I make a big mess.  Mon. April 16thWe had a BBQ and Family Home Evening at the mission home.  The Dyers have a very nice home that sits across the street from the temple.  They hosted a great dinner and then gave the lesson for FHE on the prodigal son.  They gave each of us a laminated picture depicting his return.  Mon. April 23rdWe had our monthly outing today.  We took two groups to the Convent of Santa Teresa and then had a big pot luck lunch to say goodbye to the Coacallas who will be finishing their mission on the 25thThey are from Cusco, Peru and were wonderful temple workers and good friends.  They have invited us to stay at their apartment in Cusco anytime we can visit. The Coacallas and mom and I.  
 Fri. April 27thMom and I were in doing sealings today when we heard a big boom and the building then shook.  This happened twice.  President Crayk was with us and said he had better go and see what has happened.  It was an earthquake.  I have never experienced anything like that.  It sounded like a bomb had gone off outside the temple.  The epicenter was about 45 Kilometers northeast of Cochabamba.  4.3 on the rector scale.  What better place to be than the temple during an earthquake.  No damage or injuries were reported.  We also attended a session in the morning with Oscar Garcia, who took our Temple Preparation class and is leaving on a mission next week. Sun. April 29thWe got a new temple missionary this week.  Sister Fabreze is from Argentina but was born in Cochabamba.  We took her to church with us and then had her for dinner.  She was the second sister missionary to leave from Bolivia in 1971.  It was so interesting to hear her life story.   Mon. April 30thToday we celebrated mom’s birthday.  We went to see The Avengers with all the North Americans and then I cooked Chinese and we had the Bradshaws and the Dyers over to dinner.  The Bradshaws have bought a truck and are going to go live in Tarica in southern Bolivia.  He will serve in a Branch Pres. and be on the High Council.  He served in this area about 43 years ago.  I hope mom enjoyed her birthday.  I tried to do the dishes.  I finished the month with 202 iniciatories and 6 sessions.  Tues.  May 1stWe switched to the morning shift today.  So our schedule is now.  Out the door by 6:30am for a 30 to 45 min. walk around the temple, then breakfast and get ready to go to the temple, then out the door by 8:10am so we can be on time for the 8:30am preparation meeting.  Home about 1:30pm then fix lunch, study and then back to the temple at 4:00pm to do iniciatories for 2 or 3 hours.  I did 99 this week.  Going on the session on Saturday mornings at 7:00am is the best part of the week.  To be in a session where every seat is taken and there are folding chairs in the isle, with faithful saints who are descendants of Father Lehi is amazing. The spirit is palpable and I come away energized and I have had some of the most amazing experiences during these early Saturday sessions.  I hope they will let us continue to attend this session.  It makes us a little late for our shift.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I want you to cook Chinese for me when you get home. I bet you are getting really good!

It sounds like you and Mom and have such a great mission. Love you guys.

Genevieve said...

Glad you are safe. Earthquakes could be scary. Love you guys!

Charlotte said...

I'm glad you switched back to morning--I'm available to talk more in the afternoon! Love you.